Friday, October 16, 2009

Should the school provide graphing calculators?

Does using a graphing calculator help you to understand precalculus? Do the students who own one have an advantage over those who don't? Do you think the school should provide every precalculus student with their own graphing calculator?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

The school should provide graphing calculators. Some families may have a big family and may not be able to afford many graphing calculators. They are over $100. The school providing them in school is a easy way for families, that way they only have to buy one and can all share it at home if necessary.

Anonymous said...

May you please be a little more specific when using the word "provide." Do you mean that the students will be given graphing calculators to keep at home, or just for usage during class?

Anonymous said...

I think that the graphing calculators should just be provided in school, I hope that is a little more clearer for you....

Anonymous said...

I think that the graphing calculators should just be provided in school, I hope that is a little more clearer for you....

Ali Reeseg said...

i'm taking "provide" as in lending for the whole year. I think that would be a good idea, but the school is probably apprehansive about the cost of replacing them if one is lost or damaged.

Craig Theodore Edison White Black Steele said...

Yes because they expect us to do good in math so they should provide us with the tools to do well in out mathematics classes.

Amanda said...

Graphing calculators should be provided for school usage, but only that. There are(free) online graphing calculators that can be used for homework. That way there wouldn't be a problem with having to lend out calculators to go home.

tim said...

Graphing calculators should definatley be provided for the students. Some people cannot afford the high cost. Some families could use the money they pay for graphing calculators for more essentials like food.

efitz said...

Yes they should do this because although they offer calculators in the school you have to give it back at the end of the class so i think that we should take them home and keep them for our use

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Ashley! It is very clear to me now! I do not understand why I could not comprehend what you stated in your first comment!

Anonymous said...

oh and I agree with Fitz

Ali Reeseg said...

Also with providing graphing calculators, we could do graphing homework and move faster in the class

Anonymous said...

No Problem Anonymous! I'm glad I could help you though!

Geturmathon said...

I've been looking for a really good, reliable and easy to use on-line graphing calculater. Anyone have a good suggestion?

tim said...

come on tim and ashley this isnt a chat room

K3v1n said...

As almost everyone else has said, I agree with the idea of lending out graphing calculators to students because, even though there are online graphing calculators, but those do not work as well and are different in function and options

Anonymous said...

who's Tim?

Austin said...

Although graphing calculator's should be provided by the school, students who have internet access have the ability to download a graphing calculator application. The following is a link for a graphing calculator.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gcalc/GraphCalc4.0.1.exe?download

Melissa said...

I agree with Ashley, Anon., and Erin. I definatly know how it feels to not be able to have a calculator. I was only able to get one this year because it was on sale for about $80 instead of$120. Without that calculator I actually struggled last year, and even though it's ealy in the year, having a graphing calculator really helps. If the school is afraid of losing calculators they should apply the same policy they do with books: if the student loses the calculator, they pay for it.

Anonymous said...

BeTTa kUZ I aInT bUYin OnE!!!!

Ali Reeseg said...

I think that the school should lend calculators out to pre calc and calc. the kids taking these classes obviously want to be there, or they wouldn't bother taking the class. I think the school should be able to trust that we wont go and destory the calculators..