Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Should an Honors Precalculus class include HSPA prep?

If you're in honors precalc, you should have NO PROBLEM passing the HSPA. Should we review some HSPA material anyway? Remember that it will take away time from the lessons you'll need for calculus. As an alternative... should Ms Cook hand out some HSPA prep material for you to do on your own? (and maybe give you extra credit for doing it?) And is that fair to the seniors in the class, who've already passed the HSPA?

15 comments:

K3v1n said...

Yes they should because how else are we going to be able to be prepared for standarized testing

efitz said...

yes i agree with kevin because all math is on the HSPA not just Algebra and Geometry but advanced stuff too.

Ali Reeseg said...

I think there should be some type of HSPA practice. Although it would be unfair to the seniors in the class that have already passed the HSPA, it would also be unfair to not have any type of practice for the juniors. We should have one lesson to review the type of questions on the HSPA.

Craig Theodore Edison White Black Steele said...

I agree with fitz. It will make it easier to pass the Hspa.

Melissa said...

I've been thinking about that since last year. Normally Juniors are taking Algebra II, but for those of us who are in advanced classes it is unfair. We are at a disadvantage because we will be studying Pre-Calculus all year and even though it applies a lot of Algebra II we will still be forgeting many concepts of Algebra I & II and geometry. A HSPA prep should be included toward the end of the year before the HSPA's are given.

Anonymous said...

I dont mind the juniors having their hspa practice, because i know that last year i wanted practice in class. So im not taking that away just because im a senior.

Christine said...

I feel like there should be a day or more when we take a day to go over the HSPA because it is important. Since really we don't go over Alegbra 2 or Geometry concepts we could forget and not be prepared for the test.

Ali Reeseg said...

I dont think we have a disadvantage because all of precalculous is based off of algebra1&2, but i do think we need pratice for test taking skills and to get to know the type of problems that will be on the test.

Marlon-Terrell said...

I agree with Ali because I'm a senior and I wouldn't want to sit through HSPA prep. However, it would be a good idea for Juniors who are preparing to take the HSPA.

Anonymous said...

yes, practice is good. it shouldn't take up most of the time, but later in the year when its coming up it would be great. we don't get any other practice anywhere and it would really benefit us, well at least the juniors.

Amanda said...

" As an alternative... should Ms Cook hand out some HSPA prep material for you to do on your own? (and maybe give you extra credit for doing it?) "

...i'm all for the extra credit!

Ali Reeseg said...

I think one day of review would be all we need, and definitley later, closer to the hspa's

Ali Reeseg said...

But then people will forget to do the extra credit review papers, and also when someone is there to explain things, everything is much clearer.

Anonymous said...

i really wish honors pre calc would include HSPA prep. i think it will help us a lot. we won't go into the test and not be so freaked out by the problems or questions being asked.

K3v1n said...

I see the senior prospective of the hspa, but if we do hspa stuff, Seniors should be excempt from the work, and they, like amanda said, should be able to do it as extra credit.